I would like to announce version 2.0 of KirbyBase, a small, pure-Ruby,
database management system that stores it's data in plain-text files.

You can download it at:
http://www.netpromi.com/files/KirbyBase_Ruby_2.0.zip

You can find out more about KirbyBase for Ruby 2.0 at:
http://www.netpromi.com/kirbybase_ruby.html

Version 2.0 is a radical departure from the 1.x series.  It has been
practically re-written from scratch to be much more "Ruby-ish".  The
most dramatic change is in how query's are expressed.  To specify a
select query, you can now use a Ruby code block, i.e. anything that can
be converted into a Proc object.  For example, if you had a database
table holding data on WWII planes and you wanted to select all United
States planes that had a speed greater than 400mph, the code would look
like:

plane_tbl.select { |r| r.country =~ /US/ and r. speed > 400 }

I like doing this much more than building an SQL string.  :-)

Updates, deletes, and inserts work much the same way.  A lot of effort
has been put into making the all powerful Ruby code block do a lot of
the heavy lifting.

I would like to publicly thank Hal Fulton for all of his
input/feedback/suggestions/ideas for version 2.0.  Hal was  a major
impetus for my getting this version done.  Additionally, he was
instrumental in keeping me focused on making this version feel much more
like a part of Ruby.  That said, any bugs/design flaws/code inteptitude
is solely my responsibility, not Hal's!

I hope you give this new version of KirbyBase a try.  If you do, please
let me know what you think.

Thanks.

Jamey Cribbs
jcribbs / twmi.rr.com