New information on the post, below.

I got a hold of a Linux(Debian) box, and it works:

FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Mac OS X all freeze if they are the remote server.
(Mac OS X as remote server freezes even earlier than FreeBSD does.)

But all O.S. work as the client if Linux is the remote server.

I don't know anything about threads, and I install Ruby via the
default installation in FreeBSD ports, knowing that lots of Ruby
experts use FreeBSD, and have probably set up the ports-version the
best.  But could this be a reason to get Ruby to use Linux threads?
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/devel/linuxthreads/pkg-descr

Any info appreciated.  I really want to get DRb / dRuby working across
remote boxes besides Linux.