On Mar 28, 2005, at 6:39 AM, Jaypee wrote:

> Generally, the generation of processor (G4 vs. G5) alone is
> responsible of a similar difference at equal clock frequencies. But
> here, I expected a bigger difference given the combined effect of a
> higher clock, a higher generation and a dual CPU.

A second processor is only going to be of benefit when multiple
threads/processes are running at the same time.  That's not the case
here.  If fact, since Ruby's threads are currently "in process", Ruby
will always run on a single processor.  Of course, if your computer is
doing some other work while running your Ruby script, it should get
scheduled on the other processor and not slow you down.

James Edward Gray II