In some languages, it can be hazardous to one's health to use gets and select
together, since gets (or fgets) can block while waiting for a newline, and
because select probably won't return if there is something in stdio's buffer.

However, it seems to me that in Ruby, it should be trivial for select to know
whether there is data in the buffer (since select takes IO objects as
parameters), and it should also be pretty easy to get gets to not block.
Does Ruby provide a mechanism for using select and gets together without
problems?  I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel.

Thanks,

Paul Brannan
pbranna / clemson.edu