On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 04:49:51 +0900, dougbreault / yahoo.com
<dougbreault / yahoo.com> wrote:
> C:\ruby\bin>gem install rails --remote
>
> C:\ruby\bin>"c:\ruby\bin\ruby.exe" "c:\ruby\bin\gem" install rails
> --remote
>
> Attempting remote installation of 'rails'
> Updating Gem source index for: http://gems.rubyforge.org
>
> (hangs here forever and ever)

It doesn't. It may be because you have a fairly slow connection.

This tells me that there's a UI problem with rubygems.  The first time
I tried this I though that there was such a problem too. I really
think there ought to be some kind of "pacifier" like a twirly baton if
not an honest to goodness progress bar, just to let the user know that
it's actually doing something. Same thing too when having gems compile
extensions.