On Sat, 26 Mar 2005, Francis Hwang wrote:

> I'm an atypical employer, but I'm an employer nonetheless: A few weeks back I
> posted on Craigslist for a Ruby consulting gig in NYC. This is the second
> time I've done this, and what strikes me is that the vast majority of emails
> I got were entirely worthless.

Well, I'm not in the New York area, so I wouldn't eve try.

Besides that, I don't think I'm anywhere your caliber of Ruby programmer.

> Basically: Ruby employers want somebody who is not just experienced, but
> passionate as well. So figure out what exactly about Ruby makes you
> passionate, find a concrete way to turn that passion into experience, and go
> out and sell that passion and experience to somebody. Eventually, some
> employer will give you a chance.

Ok, I want to learn a _lot_ more about programming in Ruby.  I have
broadband at the house, plenty of static IP addresses and a willingness to
learn.  Has anyone tried long distance pair programming?  Other ideas?  Do
some of the Austin locals want to get together?

-- Matt
Nothing great was ever accomplished without _passion_