Joe Van Dyk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm developing a GUI program using ruby-gnome2.  It's core dumping on exit.
>
> How can I figure out what's going wrong?  I tried using ddd on the
> core dump and ruby interpreter, but didn't get very far.

You can inspect coredumps with gdb together with the application that
dumped that core (ruby executable in your case, I presume). The most
straightforward information you can get is the execution stack that led
to the crash, if you are lucky ;-) (memory may be corrupted beyond
recognition).

gdb -c <your core file> /usr/local/bin/ruby

When you get a gdb prompt (normally, "(gdb) "), issue command
"backtrace" or "bt". Your executable must not be stripped so that you
get symbolic names, not just addresses.

Gennady.