Csaba Henk wrote:

> There was one interesting bit, committed by Pall, the PHP guy:
>
> DevSource: If there were one core thing you could change about scripting
> languages, what would it be?
>
> Pall: Even though popular scripting languages such as Python, Perl, Tcl,
> PHP, Javascript are all very high-level languages, they are all based on
> an text based idiom. [...] Representing code as abstract syntax trees
> and not streams of characters is central to huge advances in programmer
> efficiency and simplicity.

I chuckled when I read that.  The secret to "huge advances" is, wait for
it... LISP!  Only we'll have to drop that antiquated textual
representation stuff for something (?) better.  Too much PHP must rot an
important area of the brain, the same way candy affects your teeth.  :)

--
Glenn Parker | glenn.parker-AT-comcast.net | <http://www.tetrafoil.com/>