On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 02:21 +0900, Sam Roberts wrote:

> I'm totally open to suggestions. I NEED tags to read code effectively.
>
> I'm faster writing in ruby than in C, but I read C code way, way, way
> faster due to the tool support I have (vim+tags) (I debug C faster, too,
> because I have a great debugger - gdb.) I'm not happy about this
> situation.

Maybe I don't understand what you need exactly, but exuberant ctags
supports both ruby and vi:
$ ctags --version
Exuberant Ctags 5.5.4, Copyright (C) 1996-2003 Darren Hiebert
  Compiled: May 12 2004, 14:32:50
  Addresses: <dhiebert / users.sourceforge.net>, http://ctags.sourceforge.net
  Optional compiled features: +wildcards, +regex

$ ctags --list-languages | grep -i ruby
Ruby

It works for me with emacs...

Tell me if I am completely off base.