On Mar 23, 2005, at 4:59 PM, Trans wrote:

> Francis, great ideas! I will work on. Thank you.
>
> BTW, I found it curious that these methods are so popular as they seem
> contrary to OOP. Wouldn't an actual Byte class be more appropriate, for
> instance?

Definitely, but I suppose this is generally a problem with OO
hierarchies: They work better on the edges, at specific classes, than
in the center, at general-purpose classes. Numeric might be the most
amenable to this, what with mathematics being a general-purpose way to
abstract many other domains--whether you're dealing with a calendar or
a computer's addressing space.

They're definitely hacks, but that's okay! When it comes down to it,
it's all about syntactic sugar anyway--even OO itself. OO is the
sweetest syntactic sugar I know.

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/