[Isaac Gouy <igouy / yahoo.com>, 2005-03-23 17.34 CET]
> > Thus, I disagree that benchmarks are about applying some
> > arbitrary programming paradigm to a set of languages, just so
> > the "look" of the programs are similar.
>
> You're welcome to your opinion - and we're happy to include the program
> as an 'alternative'.

Don't you think this is a little unfair?

Maybe you didn't examine the program very well. The original author
(ab?)used the fact that a Struct can be used as an array. So, o.x can be
referred as o[0], o.y as o[1], and o.z as o[2]. But it is not necessary to
do so, and probably it is better to refer to its members by name.

Look, if one would change (for example):

 def magnitude
    x=self[0]; y=self[1]; z=self[2]
    sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z)
 end

to:

 def magnitude
   sqrt(x*x + y*y + z*z)
 end

wouldn't you agree that the looping isn't necessary?

Note that none of the other languages use arrays to represent the vector,
and none of them use loops to make these calculations.