On Wednesday 23 March 2005 11:34 am, Isaac Gouy wrote:
> > Thus, I disagree that benchmarks are about applying some
> > arbitrary programming paradigm to a set of languages, just so
> > the "look" of the programs are similar.
>
> You're welcome to your opinion - and we're happy to include the program
> as an 'alternative'.

Just to inject my $.02, I'd say both types of benchmarks are useful.  IMHO,
it's unlikely you'll find a benchmark that does exactly what you want.  If
you know you have to loop, a benchmark that compares looping in several
languages is useful.  On the other hand, if you are not aware of some more
elegant approach (than looping, in this case) that might apply to your
problem, and might be faster as well as more elegant, the "different
approach" benchmark is useful.

Randy Kramer