In the article the following comments were made:

"In five years I expect that dynamic languages ... [will] overtake
Java and C++ as the dominant implementation languages in most areas."
- Guido van Rossum

"One problem shared by all scripting languages is the lack of a good
IDE environment." - Dave Thomas

I believe the potential growth of Ruby usage is tied to the
availability of more sophisticated editors - we need something like
Intellij IDEA for Ruby. The Ruby Editor Plugin I'm developing for
jEdit will provide some of the features available in Intellij like:
  auto indent and insert end (done)
  file structure popup (done)
  next error (done)
  previous error (done)
  next method
  previous method
  go to class
  find usage
  find declaration
  extract variable
  complete code
  quick rdoc

I'm happy to try porting some of this work to FreeRide at a later
date, but because of past experience I'm more productive in jEdit for
now.

Rob