With the inclusion of Ajax helpers in Rails 0.11.0, we've addressed the
most important concern holding back large scale Ajax use: Writing DHTML
by hand. Manipulating the DOM by hand is a labor-intensive and
error-prone process rife with frustration and cross-browser
incompatibility. With the Ajax support in Rails, writing manual
Javascript/DHTML is (almost) a thing of the past.

Through a handful of helper tags, we've exposed an approach that relies
on a bare minimum of support on the client-side (XMLHttpRequest and
innerHTML) while offloading the generation of page fragments to
familiar constructs like ERb and Builder templates. This means that
you'll build your Ajax integration using all the tools you're familiar
with and safely let the Javascript/DOM magic be off-loaded to the Rails
helper and library.

Sam Stephenson has been the architect behind transforming my meager
Javascript attempts into a fully object-oriented library that the Rails
helper calls to do its dirty work. He has also done a video
demonstrating how he can turn a create form into Ajax
(www.rubyonrails.com/media/video/rails-ajax.mov) in just a few minutes.
While this may appear a bit complicated, its mostly because the
application Sam's integrating with lets the controller generate the
URL, which normally isn't the case.

While the Ajax support is certainly the star of this release, we have
much more. Another Sam Stephenson goodie is Pagination support, which
lets you seamlessly spread the results of a list across multiple pages
by combining controller-side and view-side support for pages and
navigation.

Also of note is that Rails applications no longer require their own
virtual host to be easy to setup. It's now possible to symlink the
public directory from underneath an existing hierarchy, so your
application can live under hieraki in /community/hieraki. This should
make it considerably easier to install and distribute applications that
need to live on shared servers. If you want to make your own
application vhost agnostic, have a look at the AssetTagHelper that'll
automatically create the proper paths for images, stylesheets, and the
likes.

The Action Mailer gained inbound capabilities in this release. By
implementing the receive(email) method, you can target your Action
Mailer from fx postfix and have it process incoming emails. We've even
enhanced TMail to make it easy to process international emails (auto
converting to UTF-8) and handling file attachments. See the example in
the README.

On top of all that there's a new script/runner for making it easy to
call your Rails domain model from CRON, there's a new Flash module,
there's database indifferent limit/offset, and a truckload of fixes,
enhancements, and tweaks. Do enjoy!

* Rails              : http://rails.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html
* Active Record      : http://ar.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html
* Action Pack        : http://ap.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html
* Active Support     : http://as.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html
* Action Mailer      : http://am.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html
* Action Web Service : http://aws.rubyonrails.com/files/CHANGELOG.html

Updating: If you?re coming from Rails 0.10.1, just run rails --skip in
the root of your application to get the new files. You shouldn?t need
to change any code.
--
David Heinemeier Hansson,
http://www.basecamphq.com/   -- Web-based Project Management