On Mon, 21 Mar 2005, David Casal wrote:

> I'm looking for a good Ruby sound library...

I am maintainer for the Ruby bindings to PureData, which is a realtime
visual programming language for audio. I am also the author of a video
plugin for PureData, and actually those things are bundled together under
the name GridFlow.

I use GridFlow for interactive setups in art galleries, museums, and music
shows, under contract with local artists (mostly in Montr٬l and
Ottawa/Gatineau). I'm doing that stuff part-time while struggling with a
degree (the degree is over now, so I'm going to do this full-time now,
hopefully)

It would be cool to have more elaborate bindings because the ones I have
coded are rather minimal (that is, only what I need to have for the video
plugin). In the future it would be cool to be able to have complete
access to PureData objects, in the same way that the Python bindings to
PureData can. Especially missing are ways to access audio buffers. I think
it wouldn't be that difficult to implement, but I haven't needed them yet.

What do you think about it? Is it overkill for your needs? What do you
want to achieve with the audio library?

PS: The big problem with audio and Ruby, though, is that the garbage
collector takes too much CPU in one chunk, so that low-latency audio just
fails horribly. For ordinary audio needs that's not really a problem
unless the computer is slow, but many people want low-latency so that they
can replace their expensive and unflexible guitar pedals by something
extremely versatile, the computer.

Mathieu Bouchard -=- Montr٬l QC Canada -=- http://artengine.ca/matju