Glenn Parker <glenn.parker / comcast.net> wrote:
> Oooo, pretty!  Seems like it might defeat the goal of optimizing things,
> unless the reference counting could reduce the overall impact of garbage
> collection.
>
> When I'm playing with simple algorithms, disabling garbage collection
> seems to yield a guaranteed 20% speedup, even for relatively short tasks
> (< 30 sec.).

Interesting observation and benchmark!  It might be neat to have
further details on how you are testing this.  Or is this measurement
done on an actual app that you have deployed?

I guess it might make sense for a Ruby app to disable GC and invoke it
when really necessary in a speed-critical situation.

Cheers,
Navin.