On Mar 21, 2005, at 5:54 PM, Al Abut - alabut.com wrote:

>> Good luck with your explorations and don't hesitate to shout if we can
>> help illuminate some concept you run into with your studies.  We love
>> to help.
>
> That sounds great and I'm going to take you up on that right now,
> here's something you can help with: in publicizing my project, I've
> gotten a lot of well-intentioned "why should I learn Ruby?" questions
> thrown my way and I've been stumbling in trying to explain why it's so
> hot. I hadn't thought through why I'd have to explain that actually,
> especially not in the some of the more designery circles I travel in. I
> just assumed that it would be self-evident to those stymied by either
> the hackyness of massaging PHP/ASP/whatever into proper OOP or by the
> massively overcomplex Java/C/C++ languages. Can anyone help me explain
> (in English!) why I'm so excited about learning Ruby?

This is a common question, so searching the list archives would
probably help here.  Here's a couple of messages found with my own
quick search:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/
thread/2816d23230d957b5/2b91e583f2db5073?q=Why+Ruby#2b91e583f2db5073

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.ruby/browse_thread/
thread/aaa8a2cc48b0107/0daca0c782dd0f7a?q=Why+Ruby#0daca0c782dd0f7a

The description on the main site is quite good as well:

http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020101.html

In then end though, languages seem to vary their attractions by the
person telling the story.  I can tell you what it means to me, but we
come from different programming backgrounds and thus my answers
probably won't match you own, after your studies.

Don't spend too much energy trying to please the masses.  If they want
to learn, they will.  Until then, give them a little tease, "Just watch
my blog and find out!"  ;)

Actually, this is my favorite quote ever from Ruby Talk, by Mike Clark,
so I'll use this as an excuse to drag it back out:

"Ruby? h, you won't like this language. Slides Pixaxe II out of
  view.) t's entirely too fun and productive for most people."

:D

James Edward Gray II