Logan Capaldo wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:24:53 +0900, vladimir konrad <bouncer / nowhere.org> wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>>How to disable output when reading with readline on linux? The script needs
>>to read a password and I would like it not to display...
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Vladimir
>>

>I would imagine it would require 'curses'. A "simpler" method might be
>figuring out what $TERM is and getting the proper escape sequences to
>make the foreground the same color as the background. Off course,
>that's kind of the point of curses...and if your script ends up on
>some really weird terminal somewhere it might mess it up.

You need the modules ruby-termios and ruby-password. Both of these are
available from RAA

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-password/
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-termios/

You may run into problems with buffered/unbuffered inputs if any
exceptions happen (ie prntscrn, ctrl+c etc.) but termios is used to mask
the user input.

-Chris