"YANAGAWA Kazuhisa" <kjana / os.xaxon.ne.jp> wrote in message
news:20010329131842.8E880F8 / helium.ruby-lang.org...
> In message <OKvw6.112996$W05.21580626 / news1.rdc1.mi.home.com>
> jkaurin / home.com writes:
>
> > I tried your suggestions above and appear to get a clean compile for
> > tcltklib (at least no errors reported) during the make cycle. But Tk
> > still will not work.
>
> Well.... actually that is not abnormal.  Make process is not obstacled
> by unavialble libraries for ext modules.  In that case Makefile for
> the ext module is not created so ext module is not built.  Is there a
> Makefile in ext/tcltklib?

You were right, I had no Makefile. I had some errors in the configure
options I was using. After fixing them everything compiled and I am
now able to run ruby and Tk.

> > This helped, I can now make Ruby 1.6.3. Thanks. I still get numerous
> > warnings, though, but they are mostly confined to two categories,
> > ptrmismatch and "unresolved" warnings of the type:
> >
> >    ld:
> >    Warning: Unresolved:
> >    rb_check_type
> >    rb_check_safe_str

Still getting a lot of unresolved warning errors.

> --
> kjana / os.xaxon.ne.jp                                 March 29, 2001
> Time and tide wait for no man.

To re-cap:

System: alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f

I made the following changes so far to get things working:

../ruby-1.6.3> diff configure.%1 configure
5222c5222
<     CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -ansi"
---
>     CFLAGS="$CFLAGS -std"

Not the proper spot for this change for my system
configuration, but the only place it propagates
throughout the make process.

../ruby-1.6.3> diff ruby.h.%1 ruby.h
545,547c545,547
< extern inline VALUE rb_class_of _((VALUE));
< extern inline int rb_type _((VALUE));
< extern inline int rb_special_const_p _((VALUE));
---
> static inline VALUE rb_class_of _((VALUE));
> static inline int rb_type _((VALUE));
> static inline int rb_special_const_p _((VALUE));

./configure --prefix=/u/jkaurin \
                   --exec-prefix=/u/jkaurin \
                   --includedir=/usr/local/include \
                   --with-tcllib=tcl8.3 \
                   --with-tklib=tk8.3 \
                   --x-includes=/usr/include/X11 \
                   --x-libraries=/usr/lib/X11

This is a local install under my account.

../ruby-1.6.3> make

I still get numerous warnings during the
make process.

If you would care to, I would be willing to work with you
offline to eliminate all the problems with the
alphaev6-dec-osf4.0f load (or with me :-), time
permitting for both of us. I have the output of both the
configure and the make I could send you.