Hello Jim,

JF> * Lothar Scholz <mailinglists / scriptolutions.com> [2005-03-18 07:05:02 +0900]:

>> Hello Aquila,
>>
>> It is also difficult to setup because you need a FCGI. mod_ruby does
>> still not work in a shared hosting environment.

JF> Although not free, mod_ruby will work on a verio shared host (verio.com).
JF> They call them virtual servers and you get root access (and so
JF> do the 100 other users that you don't see.)

Sure. But thats not what you normally call shared hosting (yes it is
shared hosting but the normal meaning of this term means
something different, a shared logical environment and not a sandbox on
a shared virtualized hardware).

And the prices from verio are insane. A virtual server vor 109
US$/month is nothing that comes to close to a recommendation for
someone who wanted a free hosting. In germany we have for example
http://www.deserver.de/index.php?s=v2000 who offers a good small
virtual server for 3.50 Euro a month. I'm using on of there to monitor
the downtime of my server and do other things that can't be done
easily with PHP (that terminates scripts after 30 sec) on the main
server.