> No they're not.  Where are you getting these assertions from?,

I use ruby in the bioinformatics field. We deal with very long
biological sequence data and protein structures. I'll have to go
through my code and post some examples with corresponding bio data,
but I've already spent enough time today on the RCR. I may have some
examples from my computer graphics class years ago that used sort!
also. You're right for asking for benchmarks, I just have to move on
to other things right now.

So, anyone else want to brew up some examples? I'd be glad to be proved wrong.

And don't forget, unless bang(!) methods are eliminated entirely,
there is still the problem with the confusion (of experienced ruby
programmers).

Dan