Premshree Pillai wrote:

>>Are you arguing about the use of the verb 'to recommend' ?
>>or else, how do you come to the conclusion that he didn't really mean
>>exactly Ruby, but Ruby or something else when he has explicitly named
>>Ruby on Linux ?
>

> Well, I was taking the phrase into context -- "Ruby on Linux". He
> probably used that as a specific instance of "[cool dynamic language
> here] on *nix".

I agree. He explicitly stated "Ruby on Linux".

If going by your logic, of "[cool dynamic language here] on *nix"", I
don't think he'd have meant Tcl on Dynix[1]??? Or Lua on QNX?

The context that he was trying to bring it in is either a small R&D, SME
or startup company with small budgets.

Ruby is relevant for product-to-market-speed (dynamic, OO, etc.), and
Linux is probably due to the fact that it runs well on commodity (read
cheap) Intel/AMD hardware.

p.s. anybody else remember what this is? :-)

/wai-sun