--Apple-Mail-19--266233061

On 17 Mar 2005, at 14:05, Lothar Scholz wrote:

> Hello Aquila,
>
> A> I know a lot of free hosters who support PHP etc. but I'd rather
> try Rails.
> A> Does anyone know of a free hosting who offers Rails?
> A> Unfortunately as a student I can't afford paid hosting on eg.
> Textdrive...
>
> Please remember that Rails is from a CPU/Memory cost perspective
> more comparable with Java or other application server technologies.

43 Things averages 46661 KB/Rails process (we peak at 200,000
pageviews/day running 40 processes FastCGI across 2 servers).  Most of
the time load hovers around 0.10 to 0.20 (we have dual 3GHz Xeons with
2GB RAM), but peaks at about 0.50.

In an emergency, we can run the entire site off of one box with only 20
FastCGI processes with no performance degradation.

I was under the impression that Java takes up a much larger memory
footprint, but have never actually used it so I can't say how much
memory it takes.  I have no idea how much CPU an equivalent Java site
would use.

Please provide some relevant data about how much memory/CPU a Java site
would need to have equivalent performance.

People have just managed to fit Rails into 64MB virtual servers.  I
doubt you could do the same with a Java app.

> It absolutely makes no sense for any hoster to offer something like
> this.

I disagree and feel that this is a statement that carries a great deal
of ignorance.

I believe people have gotten Rails to fit in a 64MB virtual server with
a shoehorn.  There's been some discussion of this on the Rails mailing
list.  It would make perfect sense for a host to offer free 64MB
virtual servers because the sandbox is much easier to manage.

> It is also difficult to setup because you need a FCGI.

I've not found this at all difficult, and judging from the Rails
mailing list, many, many people have found it pretty darn simple with
only a few well-documented gotchas.  This leads me to believe difficult
is entirely the wrong word to use.

Installing involves about 4 lines added to the httpd.conf and
installing 3 packages.  FastCGI is common enough that packages
(FreeBSD's ports tree, in my case) are very readily available.

FEC2 57F1 D465 EB15 5D6E  7C11 332A 551C 796C 9F04

--Apple-Mail-19--266233061
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit

--Apple-Mail-19--266233061--