"Jamey Cribbs" <cribbsj / oakwood.org> wrote:
> Nicholas Marriott wrote:

[snip]

> It's your loss, then, and I don't mean that in a mean-spirited way.
>
> Fox/FXRuby may not be the best looking gui toolkit for Ruby (although I
> happen to like the way it looks), but it has a lot going for it.  Just
> off the top of my head:
>
> 1.  Stability
> 2.  Well maintained, regularly enhanced
> 3.  Very friendly developers (Jeroen and Lyle are great!)
> 4.  Great selection of controls.  The only thing missing is printing,
> which can easily be rectified
>      using Austin Ziegler's PDF library.
> 5.  Small size.  Using UPX and RubyScript2Exe, you can easily make a
> single exe of your app
>      that is under 2MB.  Great for easy distribution.

These things are all great - even important - for the programmer. However,
for the user the look and interface is the most important thing and the GUI
exists for the user, not the programmer. I, at least, find the Fox interface
ugly and uncomfortable to use, which in my book makes it pretty useless.

I appreciate that Fox and FXRuby do have many good points (it is ahead of Wx
in most regards) but until the look of the interface on X is improved, I
won't even consider using it. I just can't agree that something that looks
like

http://www.fox-toolkit.org/screenshots/arithmedrill-screenshot.png

is acceptable for a modern GUI app.

-- Nicholas.