Hello Aquila,

A> I know a lot of free hosters who support PHP etc. but I'd rather try Rails.
A> Does anyone know of a free hosting who offers Rails?
A> Unfortunately as a student I can't afford paid hosting on eg. Textdrive...

Please remember that Rails is from a CPU/Memory cost perspective
more comparable with Java or other application server technologies.
It absolutely makes no sense for any hoster to offer something like this.
It is also difficult to setup because you need a FCGI. mod_ruby does
still not work in a shared hosting environment.

If you are a student you can maybe ask someone in your university.