On Thu, 2005-03-17 at 01:32 +0900, Mark Hubbart wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 15:07:23 +0900, Robby Russell <robby / planetargon.com> wrote:

> > > Had you considered a scheme in which the original
> > > domain name is part of the shortened URL?
> > >
> > >    http://rubyurl.com/www.yahoo.com:ajZkXDls
> > >
> > > That way we could at least confirm what domain we
> > > were directed to.
> > >
> > > Just a random idea.
> >
> > Well, that's an interesting idea. It doesn't quite chop the size down as
> > much as I would like though..as some domains are much longer than just
> > www.yahoo.com. What if when you clicked a rubyurl.. it showed a 'you are
> > being redirected to a site on the following domain... 3..2...1 redirect'
>
> It could be optional. When your app gets a request, check for
> "domain:key" vs "key" format, and verify the domain from the database.
> If it matches, forward to the retrieved link, and if it doesn't,
> display an error page: "This link's domain doesn't match, still follow
> it?"
>
> cheers,
> Mark

I can probably live with something like that. Was considering having a
few options on the create page. Checkboxed for things like "keep
private"... meaning that I won't display it on the rss feeds/most
popular links, etc. I could add one for 'use domain in url method' or
something.. I'm open to suggestions for proper wording.

  http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/read/12

Cheers,

Robby

* Robby Russell | Owner.Developer.Geek
* PLANET ARGON  | www.planetargon.com
* Portland, OR  | robby / planetargon.com
* 503.351.4730  | blog.planetargon.com
* PHP, Ruby, and PostgreSQL Development
* http://www.robbyonrails.com/