John-Mason P. Shackelford wrote:

> Richard,
>
> I've been interested in using QtRuby for some time now. I believe Alex
> once mentioned that lack of availability of a non-commercial Windows
> license for Windows was an issue, but I recently discovered that the
> book C++ GUI Programming with Qt 3
> (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0131240722) does contain a
> non-commercial Windows distribution of Qt3.
It still probably isn't compatible with the GPL, and can't be built with
gcc. I think it's worth waiting for Qt 4, which is out in a month or two.
Otherwise, with Qt 3 you need a copy of Visual C++ in addition to a
commercial Qt and QtRuby licenses.

> In any case, how much money and demand are we talking about to make Qt a
> viable GUI toolkit for cross-platform ruby development? ;) I'd bet that
> once QtRuby became available for Windows it would catch on quickly.
Maybe enough for Alex to give up his day job, and for me to avoid needing to
get one. The commercial version of PyQt sells for about 500 UKP I believe,
and we would base our pricing on that. We could also sell consultancy and
training. I think the GPL'd Windows Qt 4 will be needed to kickstart the
market, and get a critical mass of programmers.