]
     by skynet.be (unknown) with NNTP id 129042
     for <comp.lang.ruby>;

David A. Black wrote:
> Hi --
>
> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Lionel Thiry wrote:
>
>> Hello there!
>>
>> I remember I have read some post of Matz saying '@@' will disapear in
>> ruby2. Have I read well or am I in some sort of confusion once again?
>> Will '@@' really disapear in ruby2 or not?
>

> I think you may have read my post saying that if I could change one
> thing about Ruby, it would be to get rid of @@var :-)
Maybe, I can't remember who post it. But I remember Matz saying he made a big
mistake and regret it. Or was it someone who tried to act as him?

> Matz is going
> to change it, so that it's more truly class-specific, though I would
> still rather just ask classes to have their own instance variables and
> not have this other thing that's *almost* like that, but not quite.
> I've seen a lot of confusion arising from the @/@@ similarity, and
> I've never thought it's worth it.
I'm currently explaining the differences to a friend. As he mainly comes from
java and C++ background, it is a big pain.

> Anyway, the short answer as far as I know is "no" :-)
Too bad! :)

--
Lionel Thiry