Hello,

Curt Hibbs wrote:
> I agree. In fact it was my positive experiences with JavaScript that
> attracted me to Ruby.

I've had positively *painful* experiences with ActionScript (a variety
of ECMAscript).  The main pain was in the debugging of small errors,
often introduced during refactoring.  A misspelt variable comes to life
like a gremlin and things break mysteriously.  Add to this ActionScripts
byzantine scoping rules (which Javascript may lack). Tracking it down
requires binary-search style debug prints, and wasted so much of my time
I was tearing my hair out.

In fact one of the things which worries me a bit about Ruby, as a
newcomer, is that instance variables come to life in the same way - no
variable declarations.

I'm curious if you liked JavaScript despite that, or if you found a way
around it?  Likewise, is autovivification an issue in Ruby I should
beware of?

Nick