Hm...I don't have access to a Linux box at the moment, but I've run it
on different flavors of Linux without problem in the past.

Is RHEL 3.0 the 2.6.x kernel?

Can you do me a favor?  Download Proc::ProcessTable (author: Dan Urist)
from search.cpan.org and try to run a sample Perl program (sys-proctable
is based on that code).  If the Perl example works, then there's a bug
in my code.  If his doesn't work, well, then I guess there's still a bug
in my code.  At least I'll know it isn't something obvious, though. :)

Regards,

Dan