Rhizome's code is about 22Kloc. Not that I'm proud of that, really; if
I had time, I'd refactor it 'til all git-out and extract about 10Kloc
into free software libs. That does happen, from time to time.

This kind of stuff can, happen, though: Libs have narrow purposes, but
entire systems might have fairly complex customized logic. Rhizome, for
example, has a lot of complex stuff dealing with a pretty intense
system where membership can be driven by individual donations, group
subscriptions, assignation of complimentary status by site admins,
etc., etc. There's also a pretty extensive implementation of instant
runoff voting: IRV actually has lots of really strange edge cases.

Incidentally, I'm counting the unit tests, which I generally consider
to be as important a part of the code as the "production" code itself.

On Mar 10, 2005, at 11:37 PM, Jamis Buck wrote:

> On Mar 10, 2005, at 8:20 PM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
>>
>> Ruby: 2 years, responsible for at least one project of >10K
>>       lines. (Strong Lisp/SmallTalk background may be an
>>       acceptable substitute.)
>
> Just curious: how many people have written a project in Ruby
> consisting of over 10K lines of code? Even my own most complex lib,
> Net::SSH, is only 8.5k lines. (Well, I guess it's 16.7k if you count
> the unit tests, but I'm still curious as to how common this is.)
>
> What is the average LOC for a typical "complex" (for some arbitrary
> definition of complex) Ruby project?
>
> - Jamis

Francis Hwang
http://fhwang.net/