On Saturday 12 March 2005 18:37, Douglas Livingstone wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:01:31 +0900, Tom Willis <tom.willis / gmail.com> wrote:
> > In the case of mine, I'd have to program a first person shooter that
> > is as every bit as fun as Quake 3 Arena in ruby. ;)
>
> Actually, how easy is OpenGL to use in ruby? I remember seeing some
> examples a while back, but never took a close look at the code. A nice
> API for making Ruby apps with an OpenGL UI would be cool :)

Don't know about opengl.  It always seemed to me that opengl/directx-type
stuff was too low-level to do an actual 3d program in.  I just want to load
up painted models with animated skeletons and tell them what state to be in
and where :)

Not that I've ever gotten around to doing a 3d program since before 3d
hardware ;D

But you might want to check out this too:

http://irr.rubyforge.org/

And maybe look for a ruby wrapper for OGRE, too, since I keep hearing good
things about it :)

I wouldn't call OpenGL a GUI though; maybe a GI :)  You might want to look
into korundum for that :)

--
Lee.