On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 21:56:57 +0900, Derek Wyatt <tone_hole / yahoo.ca> wrote:

> |>I then decided to do it again in Ruby.  I was thinking I could use a
> |>GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
> |>
> |>I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish.  Or perhaps I don't
> |>know what I am talking about:)
> |>
> |>What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
> |

> | If you are on windows then a GUI toolkit named Fxruby should have been
> | distributed with the Ruby installer.
> |
> | http://www.fxruby.org/
> |
> | Documentation is relative good (better than other toolkits).
>
> I tried FXRuby as my first ruby GUI toolkit and immediately
> i hit problems.  Just making a plain window wasn't working
> right.  All of the bits you set to get borders, menus, etc
> weren't working.
>
> I would recommend starting with WX or GTK2.  I haven't had
> much experience in these kits yet, but my experienc with
> FXRuby was horrid.  I just wanted to find out how well the
> GUI part would work but haven't gotten heavily into it, so
> whatever experience you obtain, i would like to know how you
> made out.
>
> Regs,
> Derek

I'm not sure what exactly wasn't working for you - but my experience
with FXRuby was every bit as 'joyful' as my experience with Ruby.

The links to the comparisons that someone else gave you are a good
starting place. Asking people on this list what you should use will
result in what has resulted - everybody finds one that they like and
that fits their needs, and they recommend it. Nothin' wrong with that,
just don't expect to get a definitive answer from a bunch of personal
opinions. :-)

-Rich