On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:07:28 +0900, Enrico Schwass <deckard73 / freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello
>
>  >So I am still learning Ruby.  I am also learning C.  I just did
>  >Conways Game of Life in C.  I showed my wife and she wasn't impressed.
>  >
>  >I then decided to do it again in Ruby.  I was thinking I could use a
>  >GUI toolkit to make it better looking.
>  >
>  >I am looking at them they don't seem ruby-ish.  Or perhaps I don't
>  >know what I am talking about:)
>  >
>  >What is the best one for a newbie to get a handle on?
>
> I suggest the tk-library. The bindings are already included. (ext/tk)
> Look at www.scriptics.com or www.tcltk.com
> Its cross platform and there is a lot of documentation available.
>
> ciao
> Enno

I like the wxWindows toolkit at least in Python. Haven't tried it in
ruby yet, but here's a link.

http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl

A brief look at the examples and it looks like the bindings look a lot
more rubyish. Pythons bindings made me feel like I was interfacing to
an external library rather than writing in the language manipulating
objects etc.

Unforunately I can't get it installed quickly to come up with a more
informed critique.
Why does Debian hate ruby? :(
--
Thomas G. Willis