Hello,

We have a commercial calendaring application at work that conveniently
offers a C API. I have wrapped this API in the form of
Ruby/CorporateTime.

Recently, we've started to see ArgumentError exceptions being thrown by
the library, as it discovers calendar events that it believes to contain
malformed UTF-8.

One such allegedly bad string is the following:

irb(main):001:0> "\032p\210\004n\306\271\310gY\002".unpack("U*")
ArgumentError: malformed UTF-8 character
        from (irb):1:in `unpack'
        from (irb):1

This is supposed to be Japanese. Can a Japanese reader please confirm
that this is, indeed, malformed UTF-8? I need to be sure that the bug
does not lie with Ruby before I get back to our calendar admin and tell
him to go and pester Oracle.

Thanks,

Ian
--
Ian Macdonald               | He who has the courage to laugh is almost
System Administrator        | as much a master of the world as he who is