> Interesting.  On what basis do people trust them?

They've never been down that I've ever seen.  The service has been
around for a long time.  It's free.  It works.  It's robust.

>  I doubt this url
>
> xxxx
>
> just came about by chance, and suggests a fairly juvenile (i.e.
> unreliable) group of people are running tinyurl.com.

Other than the obvious ad hominem aspect, what data do you have that
supports your juvenile == unreliable claim?  Are you concerned now
about the reliability of it, which hasn't yet (to me, anyway) proven
to be bad, or something else?

I'll agree that the url mentioned is in bad taste, but I would suspect
it's an "in-joke" that got out.