On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 07:44:25AM +0900, Ben Giddings wrote:
> In zsh up-arrow and ctrl-p are both bound (by default) to
> 'up-line-or-history'.  If you're on any given line of a command and hit
> "meta-x up-history" you'll go to the previous entry, not up lines.
> Getting the pyrepl behaviour should be as simple as binding Ctrl-P to
> up-history.

Ah, thanks! That's interesting.

However, there are more to pyrepl's line editing than this. If I
remember correctly, I could instert lines in the middle of a previously
typed code block. Quite annoying, I just couldn't get this behaviour
now. Maybe I have the wrong memories?

> >My idea is that pyrepl should be ported to ruby eventually. Not only it
> >has the mentioned features, but then we would have a totally accessible
> >and controllable access to readline functionality in pure ruby, and one
> >wouldn't need to meditate which other parts of readline should have a ruby
> >binding for being able to implement this idea or that.
>
> Wasn't someone looking at rewriting readline so that we could have a non
> GPLed readline implemenation for Ruby?  In addition to the licensing
> issue, this would sure make lives easier for OS X users.

It's interesting. Is there any pointer to this? GPL, non-GPL, pyrepl
port, doing it from scratch: either case what would make sense then
would be doing it in pure ruby...

Btw, one of the reasons for creating pyrepl was to get readline features
under a non-GPL license. It's liberal license is an entry in the feature
list :)

Csaba