On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 06:26:23 +0900, James Edward Gray II
<james / grayproductions.net> wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2005, at 3:17 PM, Simon Strandgaard wrote:
>
> > In the terminal there seems to be problem with the arrow keys.
> > When pressing arrow_left then I see ^[[D in the terminal.
> > pressing CTRL-A doesn't work neither.
> > I suspect the escape sequences isn't being read correct.
> >
> > What is the solution for this?
>
> I suspect Ruby did not link against the readline library when
> installing.  I always install GNU Readline on OX X before I build Ruby.
>   I can use the arrow keys in irb normally, but my .irbrc file contains:
>
> require 'irb/completion'
> ARGV.concat [ "--readline" ]
>
> Might try "irb --readline".
>
> I'm completely guessing here and way out of my area though, so maybe on
> of the gurus will have better advice...
>
> Good luck.

Thanks, I should have known that a week ago :-)

I just realized that there exists a binary installer for ruby 1.8.2, that has
readline with it. The reason why I overlooked it the first time, was
because I didn't knew what a .dmg file was.

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyOnMacintosh

I will try it out.

--
Simon Strandgaard