Jim Weirich wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 01:09 am, ES wrote:
>
>>On my system, anything in the gemhome field in .gemrc seems to render
>>Gems unusable.
>

> The reason it is failing is that gems requires a "sources" gem be available to
> tell it where to the sites to use to get remote gems.  You can work around
> this by putting the standard gem repository in the gem path, while leaving
> the new gemhome be the target for new installations.
>
> Here's what worked for me on my linux system.
>
> First, with an unmodified .gemrc file,  find the directory of the current gem
> home:
>
>   $ gem env gemdir
>   /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>
> Now edit .gemrc to contain ...
>
>   gem: --gen-rdoc --run-tests
>   rdoc: --all --line-numbers --inline-source
>   gemhome: /home/ruerue/lib/ruby
>   gempath:
>     - /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
>
> Now the .gemrc file will direct all new installations to
> the /home/ruerue/lib/ruby directory.

Thanks for the idea! I had tried it already, though, but no luck. I'm
thinking it's probably got something to do with how Gentoo packages
RubyGems. I'll look into it. In the meanwhile I'm using --install-dir
and put my library path in gempath instead.

> It would be nice to have a way of initializing a new gem home directory with
> the sources package.  Then you wouldn't need to have the original gem
> directory in the gem path.  I suppose you could do it by hand, but I haven't
> tried it.

Maybe you can just separate RUBYGEMS_HOME from GEM_HOME?