From: "ES" <ruby-ml / magical-cat.org>

> > Ruby's more readable and cleaner syntax can, on occasions, get in the way,
> > make our one liners a few characters longer, and on other occasions
> > Rubies objects all the way down power makes our one liners several
> > characters shorter.
>
> I'd rather not, thanks. It takes about one minute to start up vi and save
> the file afterwards. You can also use it again tomorrow.

Just curious, do you make a distinction between ruby and other
command line tools in this regard?  Or do you put everything
you type at the command line in a file first?

Like...

find foo -name "*.o" | xargs rm

grep sshd /var/log/auth.log | grep password

ls -lt */*.xyzzy | head -n1

find bar -type d -name CVS -exec rm -r {} \;

etc.

Myself, unless I find I'm typing the same command over
and over, I tend to just type whatever I need right at
the command line, right at whatever directory I'm in when
I need it, and move on.

So for me, just like the non-ruby commands above, I'd be
similarly disinclined to type things like the following
into an editor:

ruby -e 'p ARGF.read.scan(/plover/i).length' *.baz

ruby -i~ -pe 'gsub(/wave rod/,"drop rod")' *.adv

So I was wondering if you would have typed all of the
above into an editor?  Or only the ruby ones?  And if
only the ruby ones, why ruby is different?

Regards,

Bill