According to the ProgrammingRuby docs, a hash value can't change.
Why is this?

I've just started to program in Ruby, and I decided that for my first Ruby
program would process a file of numbers, keeping track how many times each
number appeared.  A hash seems like the easiest way to go, but obviously
not the best way if its going to fail.  Suggestions for an alternative way
of doing it, appreciated.

Thank you

                            - Martin J. Brown, Jr. -
                            - mjbjr / beaudesign.com -