On Monday 07 March 2005 02:41, Jeremy Bear wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm considering writing a dream journaling program for a small group
> of friends, and we're on different platforms.  I'm on Linux, one is on
> FreeBSD, and others are on WindowsXP.  Basically, I wanted to do
> something that would yield a nice cross-platform GUI.  I've looked at
> using Tk, but I know that on the Linux/BSD platforms, it's rather
> ugly.

Ruby has GTK and Qt APIs too.

> I've looked at the WEBrick docs and samples, and, it looks like it
> could yield a decent solution.

I'd suggest looking at Rails.  It's a very elegant ruby-based web development
solution that can be used to create simple database front ends VERY quickly.
For example, if you wanted a simple log of entries by different users, that
would mean adding a table to a database, running about four commands to setup
rails, editing two files with a few lines of text, and you're done.
Obviously, you have more work to do if you want to customise the looks etc.,
but it's basically what you'd expect to be doing.  Just feels "right" to
me :)

It's also WEBrick based, but has the option of using Apache etc. too.  Either
way, there's no problem with running it (or any other web-based solution) on
a private LAN, if you need too.  As others have said, you just pick and
internal IP.  Even a normal web server with access control would work, if
you're desperate.  And there's the secondary layer of a firewall to limit
access too.

--
Lee.