> > My main question, I guess, is this:  Is there any way that I can use
> > WEBrick in a local setting only that will not open up a persons
> > computer to the outside world?
>
> WEBrick rocks.
>
> You can use :BindAddress => local_ip and it will be LAN accessible only. Like:
>
> :BindAddress => 192.168.0.100, :Port => 2000
>
> See its code, as I use Wee and its a bit different, like:
> Wee::WEBrickAdaptor.register('/app' => app).start(:BindAddress =>
> '192.168.0.100', :Port => 2000)

Ah, okay.  This seems simple enough.  My question regarding this,
though, is: What if I don't know what they have their local IP set to?
 Does it need to match their IP, or is there a more "generic" one I
can use, such as the 127.0.0.1 address that vruz mentioned, that will
work no matter what for the local host?

Thanks all for the extremely quick responses!

Jeremy