> >   http://amrita2.rubyforge.org/reverse/reverse.rb
> >   http://amrita2.rubyforge.org/reverse/template.html
> >
> > These are generated from the rubysite with 'amrita_r': a tool for
> > reverse engineering with Amrita2. [snip]
>
> Hmm, looks like a lot of work went into this.  As a ruby newbie, though, with
> no exposure to amrita before, it looks extremely long-winded to me.  Am I
> right in thinking that you keep the html template, and load it into amrita,
> but also repeat the structure TWICE to explain the dynamism and then the
> data?
>
> What advantage does this have over a template file with special block
> begin/end tags, and variables?  That approach seems much simpler to me.

Purity. You can load the templates into any XHTML aware editor and not
mangle them that way -- there's no mixed syntax, no funny escaping. Just
pure data. I find that I think about visual design better with no code,
and code better without being distracted by visual design.

It's not for everyone -- so there's erb/eruby and all the other
templating libraries -- but it works really well for me.