On Friday 04 March 2005 09:01, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> On Mar 4, 2005, at 6:57 AM, Jim Freeze wrote:
> > Is it really that much trouble to write:
> >
> >   begin
> >     require 'some-lib'
> >   rescue LoadError
> >     require 'rubygems'
> >     require 'some-lib'
> >   end
>
> this bullshit that gem's introduces
> makes my scripts look like hell and
> i for one refuse to add it.

Agreed.  To me,

require 'x'

reads easily.  Rather than being a hack to get the code started by pulling in
other stuff, it TELLS me something -- what other facilities are being used --
and it's an important part of the code.  Turning that simple statement into
logic about the ins-and-outs of what is available due to different underlying
implementations really obfuscates what is actually being said.  Less
readable, more prone to errors, etc.

But then, I'm a newbie :)

--
Lee.