On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:35:29 +0900, Sam Roberts
<sroberts / uniserve.com> wrote:
> Quoting botp / delmonte-phil.com , on Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at
> 12:21:01PM +0900:
>>> Maybe, rpa without the admin overhead,
>> if one needs quality, one needs an admin :-)
> Sometimes you don't need quality.
>
> Sometimes I need to be able to release my project, post to my
> mailing list, and have my users run "favetool -get sam'sproject",
> and have it work, now, whether an admin has had the time to look
> at my project, and even if the project is alpha and sucks right
> now.

Right. And that will be RubyGems, plain and simple. RubyGems is
scheduled to make it into the core -- once it's of high enough
quality.

>>> where anything on RAA can be installed with it.
>> ah, rubygems at rubyforge would do fine.
>>
>> but then again, who would port all those raa pckages to
>> rubyforge/gems? An admin again, perhaps?
> Well, isn't all the info in RAA sufficient to install a project?

No.

This was tried a couple of years ago, and to put it bluntly, the
result sucked. It didn't run at all on a Win32 installation, and it
was hit-and-miss because there were no packaging standards at all.
Yes, there was setup.rb, but different people had different versions
that did different things. Worse, the RAA is actually better named
the RAI (Ruby Application Index), as it doesn't host anything. If
the webpage is down, then the package is uninstallable. Oops. This
is worst on personal homepages.

To this day, for my .tar.gz releases, I maintain my *own* install.rb
(and it's *good*, but it's only good for pure Ruby solutions); I'll
only switch to setup.rb or something like that if I ever need an
extension.

RubyGems solves most of this, and it solves it without much work by
the developer.

One of my unfinished projects is a Package Publisher tool that will
take your package directory, create a gem and a .tar.gz (using
Archive::Tar::Minitar), optionally digitally sign it, release it on
RubyForge (if appropriate) and update your package details on the RAA.

It got stuck on the uploading part, and then I had other projects to
work on by time I figured out the uploading part (actually, Patrick
May did).

Look at my post in the original thread (I think). It's closer than
you think, and Matz *has* indicated that a packaging system should
be in the core. This will probably be RubyGems as it is the furthest
along.

-austin
--
Austin Ziegler * halostatue / gmail.com