On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:45:16 +0900, Yukihiro Matsumoto
<matz / ruby-lang.org> wrote:
> I think there's need for both a packaging "system" and a package
> repository.  I wish for a sound cooperation of the former (rubygems?)
> and the latter (rpa?).  I'd happy to merge the packaging system (with
> which both teams can agree) in the standard Ruby.
In my mind, the problem consists of these components, each caring only
about their small area of responsibility:

* Package builder, which generates, from a "recipe": (1) an artifact
that can be installed on a host or (2) an artifact reusable by
repackagers to create a platform-specific (1) (i.e. RPM). All it does
is generate these artifacts.

* Central repository (RAA?), mirrored, containing the (1) and (2)
artifacts, and only serving downloads for the "installer" below.

* Package installer, which obtains (1) artifacts from central
repository and installs them and does only that.

This doesn't mean that people won't have both the builder and
installer available on their systems. But I do think they should be
discrete components with distinct areas of responsibility.

Leon