On 3/3/05 10:35 PM, "Sam Roberts" <sroberts / uniserve.com> wrote:

> The gem tool (and rpa, I assume) when it packages something up, what it
> is really doing is enforcing a structure, so tools can work with it.
> This is cool.
>
> The way I see it is:
>
>  - gems is a nice packaging system, with the unacceptable overhead of
>    a poorly considered versioning system
>
>  - rpa is a nice packaing system, with the unacceptable overhead of
>    an external evaluation process

I thought for a while if we had a...

gem deploy (list of gems or --all)

...which deploys all the (ruby/native) libraries in the gems into a central
dir (like the standard /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 or something) then
you could have the normal 'require' stuff just work (removing gems from the
runtime) and making it just a deployment system.  What do you think?

You could even have sets of gems based on a quality estimation (or version
compatibility) that would give you an RPA style check w/out the packaging by
a central entity.

-rich