Curt Hibbs wrote:
> Below, I posting the entire text of this blog entry:
>
>   http://sean.typepad.com/ditto/2005/03/the_problem_wit.html
>
> I think that this guy has really called it right. There have been a few
> postings about a reworking of RAA... does anyone know the current status of
> this effort?
>
> Curt
>
> ==========================
> http://sean.typepad.com/ditto/2005/03/the_problem_wit.html
> The Problem with Ruby

<snip/>

Some possible solutions:

1. Dump the RAA.
   Don't bother fixing it.
   Tell people to move their code to RubyForge.

2. Dump the RAA
    Tell people to find a home page for their
    project and include "RAA" and "Ruby" in the keyword meta tag,
    and let Google do the rest.

2. Dump the RAA
    Tell people to find a home page for their
    project and tag it on del.icio.us with the tags 'Ruby'
    and 'RAA', plus a brief description.

I get the sense that this blogger's opinion was based entirely on what
he  saw at the RAA.   RAA has pretty much fallen off my radar; If I'm
looking for a Ruby app or lib I turn to RubyForge or Google.  The RAA
has tended to be too incomplete or out-of-date.  I've listed things
there but have more or less forgotten about their respective pages; it
is just too much extra work to have a project, maintain the README and
home page for that project; AND have to duplicate much of that
information someplace else.

RubyForge was a godsend (thanks, InfoEtherites!) if for no other reason
that it facilitates one-stop shopping for both developer and end-user.

The RAA may be like a few other things in Rubyland: a good and
appropriate idea at the time of conception, but possibly past its prime
or superseded by more effective tools and infrastructure.

James