Hal Fulton wrote:

> Hi, all...
>
> I sometimes wish for a very simple database with the
> following features:
>
> 1. Distributed as part of Ruby
> 2. Need not store entire db in memory
> 3. No SQL requirement
> 4. No special efficiency requirement
> 5. Available cross-platform
> 6. Database files are readable cross-platform
>
> Does anyone have any recommendation? Or would a
> "universal built-in database" make an interesting
> addition to our world?

Well, I have written a pure-Ruby dbms library called KirbyBase
(http://www.netpromi.com/kirbybase.html).

It satisfies features 2 through 6 of your list.

I have recently updated the Ruby version of KirbyBase to 1.8 to keep it
in line with the most recent Python version.  I hope to release the new
version soon.

HTH,

Jamey Cribbs